City of Gold, Bronze and Light: Jerusalem between Word and Image

As the ancestral and spiritual home of the Jewish people, Jerusalem has over the centuries been a constant focus of narrative and material description as well as of intangible and ethereal longing. Indeed, the city’s sacred character has often been evoked through richly palpable imagery, while its physical landscape has prompted mystical reflection. Marking the 50th anniversary of the Six-Day War (June, 1967) and the reunification of the city, this exhibition explores the tension between the imaginary and physical Jerusalem, between the visionary and the illustrative, between word and image.

Featuring paintings, drawings, prints, photographs, medals, posters, books, video, architectural models and memorabilia from the collection of Yeshiva University Museum, with select loans from local collections, the exhibition juxtaposes an array of visual and material characterizations of the Holy City from the 17th to 21st centuries with a series of Talmudic, prose and poetic passages that highlight Jerusalem’s sometimes elusive, immaterial character.

In partnership with the Center for Israel Studies of Yeshiva University, the exhibition is complemented by a series of talks/walks through the galleries by writers, scholars and musicians, who offer portraits of Jerusalem from distinct historic, literary, religious, political and artistic vantage points.

Exhibit Closed

This exhibit closed on
Sunday, July 30, 2017

Currently on Display

George Salter: A Legacy of Book Design presented by the Leo Baeck Institute
The Arch of Titus – from Jerusalem to Rome, and Back presented by the Yeshiva University Museum
Becoming "German Jews" in America presented by the Leo Baeck Institute
1917: How One Year Changed The World presented by American Jewish Historical Society and Yeshiva University Museum
Nosotros: Strengthening Bonds between Jewish and Latino Communities presented by the American Sephardi Federation
The Rome Lab presented by Centro Primo Levi, the Jewish Museum of Rome and the Center for Jewish History